Based in Berlin, Germany
September 2nd 2016
Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous historical personalities, players will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures. They will put on their pith helmets and khakis and make their way through a lush, procedurally generated world full of wonder and mystery.
Maschinen-Mensch is a Berlin-based independent game studio founded by two AAA developers who left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling. Curious Expedition was first released in May 2015 on Steam Early Access. After over 30 feature updates (each documented with a video on their YouTube channel), the game reached version 1.0 in September 2016. In March 2017, the "Arctic Expanse" free DLC was released adding new content and extending the game mechanics further. After having sold over 170,000 copies the game will be released on consoles in 2019, in partnership with Thunderful. Curious Expedition was selected by Rock, Paper, Shotgun as “Best Roguelike Game of 2016” and won the “Deutscher Entwicklerpreis” (German developer award) as best indie game in 2015.
- Explore procedurally generated worlds, each with its own distinctive set of challenges for the ambitious explorer.
- Plan and equip your trek. A good explorer is prepared for any eventuality.
- Manage your resources to keep your trek alive and sanity high. Balance your needs with the desire to carry all that precious treasure back home.
- Visit and interact with the land’s natives. Enter villages, trade and communicate with local tribes and civilizations that are unknown to mankind.
- Loot mysterious temple ruins to gain fame and treasures, but watch out for deadly traps and curses that will compromise your trek and the world around you.
- Equip and utilize miraculous treasures to gain advantages, but be wary of unforeseeable side effects.
- Fight and defend your trek against a wide range of wild animals, mystical creatures and even dinosaurs.
1.0 Release trailer YouTube
Video Review by Zealwood YouTube
Let's Play by Many A True Nerd YouTube
Our last Early Access update video YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for The Curious Expedition. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Roguelike of 2016" Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Best Independent Game" German Developer Award 2015
- "Bestes Jugendspiel Finalist" Deutscher Computerspielpreis 2015
- "Honorable Mention" Indie Arena Booth @ Gamescom 2015
- "International Prize Finalist" Ludicious Festival 2014
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Follow us on Twitter.com.
Like us on Facebook.com.
Maschinen-Mensch is a Berlin-based independent game studio founded by two AAA developers who left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling and create innovative games.
More information on Maschinen-Mensch, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Curious Expedition Credits