Based in Berlin, Germany
September 2nd 2016
The Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous historical personalities, players will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures. They will put on their pith helmets and khakis and make their way through a lush, procedurally generated world full of wonder and mystery.
Maschinen-Mensch is a German independent game studio of former AAA developers (Spec Ops: The Line) that left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling and create innovative games that aim at unattended niches in gaming. The Curious Expedition was first released as an alpha version in May 2015 on Steam Early Access. During the Early Access phase is has been continually expanded and enhanced by the developers, incorporating valuable community feedback and developing a devoted fan base. The Curious Expedition has sold 25,000 copies so far (fully recouping production costs) and has already been nominated for various awards, including prestigious German awards including: “Deutscher Computerspielepreis” (German Computer Games Awards; category best youth game) and “Deutscher Entwicklerpreis” (German Developer Awards; categories: best browser game, best indie game, best game design, best german game). It also won the “Deutscher Entwicklerpreis” award as best indie game in 2015.
- Explore procedurally generated worlds, each with its own distinctive set of challenges for the ambitious explorer.
- Plan and equip your trek. A good explorer is prepared for any eventuality.
- Manage your resources to keep your trek alive and sanity high. Balance your needs with the desire to carry all that precious treasure back home.
- Visit and interact with the land’s natives. Enter villages, trade and communicate with local tribes and civilizations that are unknown to mankind.
- Loot mysterious temple ruins to gain fame and treasures, but watch out for deadly traps and curses that will compromise your trek and the world around you.
- Equip and utilize miraculous treasures to gain advantages, but be wary of unforeseeable side effects.
- Fight and defend your trek against a wide range of wild animals, mystical creatures and even dinosaurs.
Steam Early Access Release Trailer YouTube
Let's Play YouTube
Our last Early Access update video YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for The Curious Expedition. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Independent Game" German Developer Award for The Curious Expedition - Cologne, 17 December, 2015
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Follow us on Twitter.com.
Like us on Facebook.com.
Maschinen-Mensch is a German independent game studio of former AAA developers that left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling and create innovative games that aim at unattended niches in gaming.
More information on Maschinen-Mensch, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Curious Expedition Credits