Based in Berlin, Germany
Press / Business contact:
Curious Expedition 2
+49 1575 170 89 88
Maschinen-Mensch is a Berlin-based independent game studio founded by two AAA developers who left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling and create innovative games.
Maschinen-Mensch was founded in April 2014 by Riad Djemili and Johannes Kristmann, combining 15 years of experience in professional AAA game productions. Among other projects, they worked on the multi-award winning game “Spec Ops: The Line” by YAGER Development.Curious Expedition
Maschinen-Mensch's debut title Curious Expedition was first released in May 2015 on Steam Early Access. After 30 feature updates (each documented with a video on their YouTube channel), the game reached version 1.0 in September 2016. In March 2017, the "Arctic Expanse" free DLC was released. The game, which to date has sold more than 300,000 copies was released on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in March 2020, in partnership with Thunderful.Curious Expedition 2
In February 2019 a sequel was announced, featuring a brand new art style, improved gameplay and vastly expanded content, aiming to provide hours of unique adventures to existing and new fans alike. After a closed alpha in 2019 and a Steam Early Access phase in 2020, the 1.0 version launched on January 28 2021 on Steam. Over the course of the following months 3 paid DLCs were released in addition to console ports for Nintendo Switch, Xbox and PlayStation.Other projects
Maschinen-Mensch is currently working on a new unannounced game.
Curious Expedition 2 Launch Trailer YouTube
Curious Expedition Console Release Behind the Scenes Mini Documentary YouTube
"Expedition Essentials" talk at A MAZE. Berlin 2015 YouTube
There are far more images available for Maschinen-Mensch, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Maschinen-Mensch. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Curious Expedition 2: Best International Game" - BIG Festival 2021
- "Curious Expedition 2: Honorable Mention" - Unfold Games Awards 2021
- "Curious Expedition 2: Best Indie Game" - Gamescom Award 2020
- "Curious Expedition 2: Nominee" - IndieCade 2020
- "Curious Expedition 1: Best Roguelike of 2016" - Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Curious Expedition 1: Best Independent Game" - German Developer Award 2015
- "Curious Expedition 1: Bestes Jugendspiel Finalist" - Deutscher Computerspielpreis 2015
- "Curious Expedition 1: Honorable Mention" - Indie Arena Booth @ Gamescom 2015
- "Curious Expedition 1: International Prize Finalist" - Ludicious Festival 2014
Team & Repeating Collaborator
presskit() by Rami Ismail (Vlambeer) - also thanks to these fine folks