Curious Expedition 2 is a narrative roguelike adventure set in a reimagined version of the late 19th Century. Players take on the role of an intrepid explorer on a quest to discover the secrets of mysterious islands that have begun to appear in the oceans. Using a combination of hand-crafted and procedural gameplay and story elements, Curious Expedition 2 creates completely unique and epic adventures every time you play. It tells its story through traditional choice-based adventure mechanics, but also adds in resource management, turn-based exploration and combat sections with dice-roll mechanics, and roguelike elements. It’s a curious mix of genres and subgenres, all wrapped up in a streamlined and accessible gameplay experience with powerfully dynamic options.
Maschinen-Mensch is a Berlin-based independent game studio founded by two AAA developers who left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling. Their debut title Curious Expedition sold more than 300,000 copies to date. The sequel Curious Expedition 2 was released on January 28 2021 on Steam (following a brief period in Early Access) and on August 11 2021 on Nintendo Switch. "Highlands of Avalon", the first in a series of paid DLCs was released on Steam on November 16 2021. The game will be released on Xbox and PlayStation in early 2022.
- Explore procedurally generated worlds in a variety of biomes, each featuring a new combination of dangers and opportunities.
- Manage your resources to keep your trek alive and sanity high. Balance greed against your survival needs to find glory without perishing.
- Procedural storytelling makes every adventure unique. Your characters form relationships, change loyalty, acquire mental illnesses, and more in response to the environment and your decisions.
- Embark on an epic campaign that combines procedural gameplay with handcrafted story to create a narrative experience that can be played again and again.
- All-new combat mechanics will require all your cleverness to survive fierce wild animals and legendary creatures.
- Join online challenges and pledge yourself to an Explorer Club to compete for unique rewards.
- Outfit your party members with equippable gear to create builds that can take on any challenge.
- Set off on all-new expedition types, each with their own unique goal and events. Will you seek out the legendary Golden Pyramid or choose to recover the Rainbow Orchid instead?
- Explore and discover mysterious locations. Plunder ancient shrines, haggle with strange mole people, loot ghostly pirate ships, and more...
- 4K-native graphics featuring a classic comic-inspired art style.
- Veteran CE1 players will discover tons of new content: new items, character types, enemies, biomes, tribes, events, and more!
Launch Trailer — YouTube
Highlands of Avalon DLC Launch Trailer — YouTube
Steam Early Access Trailer — YouTube
Steam Early Access Announcement — YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Curious Expedition 2. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Best International Game" BIG Awards 2021
- "Best Indie Game" Gamescom Awards 2020
- "Nominee" IndieCade Awards 2020
- Curious Expedition 2 is published by Thunderful thunderfulgames.com.
- Maschinen-Mensch is a Berlin-based independent game studio founded by two AAA developers who left the mainstream industry to experiment with new forms of generative storytelling and create innovative games.
- More information
- More information on Maschinen-Mensch, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Curious Expedition 2 Credits
- Riad Djemili
- CEO, Technical Direction, Game Design
- Johannes Kristmann
- CEO, Art Direction, Game Design
- Isaac Ashdown
- Alexander Batsch
- Laura Brosi
- Technical Art
- Mascha Camino
- Game Design
- Katarina Czikorova
- Art and Animation
- Garen Ewing
- Shawn Frison
- Game Design
- Dennis Kogel
- Lorenzo Pilia
- Almut Schwacke
- Sound Design
- Felix Szczesny
- Additional Game Design
- Petter Vilberg
- Game Design